Sunday, March 25, 2007

A new ranking system on the way...

It's been largely unknown (though there are a few of you out there that have heard rumors of this) that I've been working on a new ranking system for Photo Finish racers. Before I go into a little bit of a description of the system, I'll give you some background on what inspired the new system.

It basically started with some exchanged emails between a few other members of the PF community and myself. These correspondences concerned the issue of horses being run way below their level. Anyway, the discussions we had got me to thinking (which is usually trouble!) that it would be interesting to come up with a system based on the level competed at. I spent a lot of time thinking about what factors should go into the system, how races should be ranked, how to implement everything into a spreadshet, etc... Next came the actual setting up of the spreadsheet, which has been a chore and a half to get all the formulas correct and funtioning properly.

Sound interesting so far? I guess it's time now to let you in on just what does go into the system. Basically, I took every race on the calendar and assigned it a point value. The point value was based on what level race it was (G1, G2, G3, or G4 - ungraded) and what the purse was. The higher the grade/purse, the more the race is worth in the system. Points are awarded for finishing on the board (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) in any race. That was the easy part. It would have made for decent rankings just like that, but I wasn't satisfied. I also wanted to implement a race strength feature to the system.

Race strength, eh? Some of you may be wondering what the heck that is. Well, every race on the schedule will now be given a "strength value" based on what every runner in that particular race accomplishes all year. (This had been the "fun" part in the programming.) The beauty of this (to me anyway) is that if horse A wins a race, and then horses B and C from that same race go on to have nice years, horse A then benefits from having actually beaten quality opponents. For those familiar with certain computer rankings in football (American style), it's kind of like a strength of schedule or secondary points feature. You benefit by having those on your schedule do well.

Anyway, that's the basics of this new system. If you have any questions/comments about it, let me know. I also haven't yet decided how to put the final points together yet (the horses average and the race strength average), so if you'd like to help me with that decision, get in touch with me.

In reference to the last comment, it's not ready to give out rankings quite yet. I still want to make sure everything is computing properly, plus I still need to determine what to do with those final numbers. But, I can give out these interesting little tidbits for now...

  • The top three so far for raw average (no race strength, just how they did and where) are Perfect Bell, A Bus, and Isca's Revenge. Not really anything to be surprised about there. Perfect Bell has a win in a $350,000 G1 and a second in a $1,600,000 G1. A Bus has a win in a $150,000 G2 (that hurts some), a second in a $250,000 G1 (worth more than the G2 win), and a win in a $1,500,000 G1 (that really helped), and Isca's Revenge has a win in a $500,000 G1 and a second in a $1,000,000 G1.
  • The top three so far for raw race strength average are Perfect Bell, Pefect Goer (1 race so far in the Santa Anita Handicap), and a tie between Isca's Revenge and Pegasus Song ( not surprising since their only two races were against each other!)
  • The toughest race so far is the G1 Caulfield Stakes. But that's being driven almost completely by the winner, Perfect Bell and the small field. I wouldn't expect this one to stay on top all year.
  • Next is the G1 Santa Anita Oaks. Again, benefitting from the small field (only 2 starters). Plus, the winner is two-for-two in G1's so far. Looks like this one's ranking will be completely up to what the second place horse does all year.
  • The third toughest is the G1 Santa Anita Handicap. Pegasus Song and Isca's Revenge are pretty much given's. It'll be up to the other four to keep this one's rating strong.
  • Oh yeah, I'm also tracking PSR's with the sheet. The top three for average PSR so far are Miss Bust, Sverige, and Fashion Tower.

5 comments:

Jim Webber said...

So...I love the idea DJ. I'm a statistical nut so I enjoy these kind of numbers. Other than providing very interesting fodder for discussion, what can the numbers be used for?

You mentioned that this idea came from a discussion on horses running beneath their station. Is the idea to publish the numbers so that the owners who are cherry-picking become aware of it and cease through peer pressure?

Or, is the idea to eventually have a rating system whereby a horse could not enter a specific race if his rating was too high?

Whatever the motivation, I love the idea, as I usually do whenever you get to number crunching.

DJ said...

Right now, it's just meant to be a regular feature of the Recap. Something for all the statistical nuts like us to have some fun with.

I doubt that I will ever post the whole list at one time as the list would be WAY too big. (An interesting "did you know?": there are 1,066 racers this year.) I probably will post some nice sized (top 50 or so) specialized portions (3YO colts, older mares, etc...) of it from time to time.

I'm not sure if this kind of a list (or anything else) will be able to convince anyone to run their horses in the proper spots, but it definitely can't hurt. But, I guess we'll see what happens after some lists start to get posted.

Using a rating system in conjunction with the entries is an interesting idea. The one problem I can see with that right away is how volatile this system could end up being early on in the year. I'm guessing there could be some fairly big swings in some of the ratings until a lot more data is available. Like I mentioned in my original post, the Caulfied Stakes is rated the toughest race so far. I see no way that that holds up all year, as that was actually a pretty weak race.

Glad you like the idea anyway. At least I know there will be a few of us that enjoy it.

Jim Webber said...

I think everyone will enjoy it DJ.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's great to have a "stat-man" on hand at the Recap. Really adds to the quality.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Anonymous said...

Great idea DJ - if i can be of any help let me know. (Either as Nancy or myself!)

(Although the chances of me having anything in teh top 50 this year are slim!)